InFlight makes it easy to create and distribute native mobile apps for enterprise systems
Why mobile app distribution matters for the modern enterprise
Your employees regularly download personal apps from Google Play and Apple App Stores – and have come to expect the same ease-of-access to workplace applications and functionality. Entering timesheets, viewing paycheques, or enrolling in benefits should look, feel, and behave like the apps employees are already familiar with, and they should install like any other app on their phone.
InFlight Mobile App ROI
Moreover, mobile apps extend the reach and return-on-investment of your enterprise mobility strategy. Customers who have enhanced the appearance, ease of use, and functionality of enterprise applications by transforming enterprise systems into modern web applications with InFlight are also seeking easier ways to put this power at the fingertips of their users.
InFlight Mobile Apps Increase Distribution and Leverage Native Device Capabilities
To this end, “app wrapping” enterprise web applications expands distribution, simplifies management, and provides access to leverage native device capabilities like fingerprint recognition, camera, GPS, and more.
FAQ 1 – What is “app wrapping”?
“App wrapping” is a method for creating a native application for mobile devices which is based on an underlying web application. The native mobile application uses a web browser to make calls to the web application and display the UI.
Mobile app distribution benefits and challenges
Ease of distribution is perhaps the most obvious benefit of mobile apps. Mobile apps are easier and more convenient than sharing and bookmarking a URL, and provide more control over distribution and installation.
Application management is also enhanced. Changes or updates made to underlying web applications are automatically and immediately available in your InFlight Mobile Apps for iOS/Android. To update the InFlight Mobile App itself, simply publish a new version to the app stores.
FAQ 2 – Who publishes the application – and how is it tested?
InFlight typically lets the customer own and publish the application though their corporate app store account, however, we can also do this on your behalf.
Before publishing, InFlight can whitelist a number of devices for your application to be tested on. Only these devices will have access for testing.
Use Native Device Capabilities like the Camera and GPS in your app
Finally, and perhaps most importantly, with mobile apps the functionality of your web application can be combined with powerful native device capabilities through Android and Apple iOS developer APIs. Some examples include:
- Fingerprint or facial authentication used for content login
- Accessing GPS location services and camera to enhance tracking and information gathering
- Using iBeacons to geo-fence a web punch app for specific groups of users.
How InFlight Mobile Apps work with enterprise applications
- Decide what InFlight content you want to offer through app stores. InFlight will create a corporate mobile app. We can also create a separately branded app for a specific division or brand.
- Once you’ve decided what functionality you want to deploy, we wrap the InFlight Web App and publish it to Google Play and the Apple App Store. This also enables us to extend the InFlight Web App to provide native functionality that is expected by users, such as TouchID, saving files, etc.
- After an app is submitted to the app stores, it will be reviewed by Google and Apple staff and then be published. Once published, anyone with a device can search for, find, and download the app, but only users authorized by you will be able to log in to and use the app.
- As with everything InFlight delivers, access and security will continue to be governed by the underlying system of record.
Getting started with mobile apps in enterprise
Enhancing mobile app distribution, management, and device functionality to a modern and well-designed web application is fairly straightforward. Considering the many benefits, there are very few downsides to publishing to app stores – and InFlight can help you successfully navigate the process, and support discussions with your internal stakeholders.
Want to learn more? Download our brochure, or contact email@example.com.